Welcome to the University of West Georgia Transfer Credit webpage.

Coursework completed or taken at an institution other than the University of West Georgia is considered transfer credit. Students must submit an official transcript from all previously attended institutions. Here at UWG, Transfer Evaluations are processed in the order they are received. The evaluation is typically processed within 2 weeks after a student has been accepted by Admissions. Once processed, students receive email notification that the transfer evaluation may be accessed via myUWG.

Please review the following links for more information about Transferring to UWG.

  • Transfer Criteria

    When a transfer student is accepted to UWG, the Office of Admissions sends the student's information to the Office of the Registrar for evaluation. Student transcripts are evaluated in the order they are received from the Admission’s Office. Once completed, the student will receive an email informing them that their transfer evaluation can be viewed via myUWG.  

    Transfer Criteria: 

    • UWG grants credit for courses completed at regionally accredited institutions.
    • Your transfer GPA includes all coursework attempted, including repeats. 
    • A maximum of 90 academic hours may be transferred to UWG.
    • A maximum of 30 hours of Credit by Exams or Extensions maybe awarded (AP, CLEP, Military, etc.)
    • Transfer credit is not awarded for Internships, directed studies, practicums, workshops, orientation classes (less than 2 semester hours), learning support courses, career associate degree courses, and/or courses used to meet CPC deficiencies prior to Fall of 2015.
    • Courses accepted for transfer credit must have a "C" average. A grade of "D" in freshman English is not acceptable. Grades of “D” will NOT be allowed in courses designated as major or professional courses in Education. A grade of "C" or above is required for all professional courses in education.
    • All quarter hours will be converted to semester hours on your evaluation. One quarter hour is the equivalent of 2/3 of a semester hour. Thus all of your 5 hour courses will be converted to 3.34 semester hours. A minimum of 120 academic semester hours are required to receive a bachelor's degree (must complete degree curriculum).
    • Courses will be assigned UWG course numbers if they are determined to be exact UWG equivalents. Discipline equivalents are determined by the appropriate academic department. Elective credit (1XXX-4XXX) will be assigned if a course cannot be deemed an exact UWG equivalent.
    • For elective credit to substitute for a UWG course, written approval from the respective department chair is required (see Transfer Credit Re-Evaluation Form).
    • In order to determine how transfer credit can be used in a particular program of study, please refer to the University Undergraduate Catalog . Carefully review the Core Curriculum requirements as well as the Program of Study requirements. If you have questions, please contact the advisement center/department of your major. Take a copy of your transfer evaluation with you to Advisement/Orientation.  
  • Transfer Course Equivalency Tool

    The Transfer Course Equivalency Tool is provided as a service for students who want to know whether the courses they are taking, or plan to take, will transfer to the University of West Georgia.

    This tool is for reference only.  University of West Georgia course equivalents are subject to change upon official evaluation by the appropriate department.  The listing or exclusion of courses from this program does not reflect on acceptability of the courses to the University of West Georgia.

    To view Transfer Course Equivalencies, click here.

  • Credit By Exam

    Departmental Credit by Exam:

    Several academic departments at the University of West Georgia offer the opportunity for credit by examination. The English Department, for example, allows students to write an essay evaluated by a departmental committee. Depending on the passing score, the student will be allowed to exempt English 1101 and/or 1102. The Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures also allows students to exempt certain introductory foreign language courses.  Additional Information on Department Credit by Exam (PDF 256K)Additional Information on Mathematics Credit-by-Exam (SAT Score) and Additional Information for English Credit-By-Exam

    Advanced Placement Program:

    The Advanced Placement (AP) Program is available through many high schools and enables a high-school student to earn credit toward college in a variety of subjects. These courses are equivalent to college freshmen/sophomore level courses. High school students who earn AP exam scores of 3 or higher and who submit official score reports to West Georgia usually receive credit for coursework. Scores of 4 or higher are required to receive credit for history exams and may also count as Honors College credit. AP Course Exam Equivalents (PDF 356K)

    College Level Examination Program:

    The College Level Examination Program or CLEP is a great way to earn college credit. Credit is granted upon the successful completion of a standardized test. Not only will a person save time by not having to take a course containing material he or she already knows, but the student will also save money by not having to pay for a college class. CLEP enables a student to move through his or her freshman and sophomore years at a faster pace. At West Georgia, a “K” grade is awarded after successful completion of a CLEP exam. The grade will appear on the student transcript and evaluation records. CLEP Course Exam Equivalents (PDF 150KB)

    International Baccalaureate:

    International Baccalaureate (IB) scores are also reviewed for possible college credit. Students may receive academic credit for exams at each level depending on the score. Please review the current IB Policy to determine if you are eligible to receive credit.

    For more information about these or other testing options please visit the Learning Support and Testing web page.

  • Re-evaluation of Transfer Credit

    Any undergraduate transfer student who would like to request a re-evaluation of a given transfer course equivalent, should submit the Transfer Credit Re-Evaluation Form, a course description, and/or a course syllabus to the department chair in the relevant discipline.  It is the student’s responsibility to obtain and submit the course description and/or a course syllabus along with the form.  

    Important points concerning the re-evaluation of transfer credits:  

    • This form should only be used when the student is requesting that a transfer course equivalent be changed.  A student or advisor wishing to substitute one course for another course in the degree program should submit a petition in Wolf Watch instead of completing this form.
    • The total amount of work which will be accepted from all institutions is 90 semester hours.  If a student has been awarded the maximum 90 academic transfer hours and the department chair approves credit for a course that was not previously awarded, other coursework will be removed from the student’s earned hours to maintain the maximum 90 hour limit.
    • A grade of ‘D’ cannot be awarded for ENGL 1101, ENGL 1102, courses designated as major courses or professional courses in education. 
    • A 1000-2000 level course cannot be awarded a 3000-4000 level course equivalent.
    • Departmental decisions on UWG course equivalents are final.  There is no appeal beyond the departmental level.   

    Please direct questions to the Transfer Team in the Registrar’s Office at: transfer@westga.edu or 678-839-6438

  • Credit for Military Training

    Students, who have served in a branch of the military, may be eligible to receive college credit for their training. Students must submit an official military transcript (JST) and request their record be evaluated for possible college credit. Branches of the military to request a JST from: Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard. For the Air Force, a student will request a Community College of the Air Force Transcript (CCAF). (see Military Transcript Request Information below).

    Military credit is awarded based upon the American Council on Education (ACE) guide for Military Credit recommendations and the approval of UWG faculty. Credits are generally elective credits that may be used in the degree and major program and will be listed with a grade of ‘S’ on the student’s transcript. A maximum of 30 semester hours may be awarded. No credit is awarded for Basic Training; however, students with 2 or more years Active Duty Military Services may waive their physical education activity requirement by submitting a copy of their DD214. Military credit is the only credit that can be removed if request by the student, due to financial restrictions. 

    To request a Joint Services Transcript (JST): https://jst.doded.mil/official.html

    To request a Community College of the Air Force Transcript (CCAF): http://www.airuniversity.af.mil/Barnes/CCAF/Display/Article/803247/

    To view previously evaluated Military Transfer Credit, click here.

    Please visit the Center for Adult Learners and Veterans website for more details. You may also email them at cav@westga.edu for more information.


  • Transfer Articulation Agreements

    The University of West Georgia currently has several articulation agreements with the Technical College System of Georgia and West Georgia Technical College.

    Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG) articulation agreement specifies 28 general education courses that are guaranteed to transfer between SACSCOC-accredited USG institutions.

    TCSG Articulation Agreement (PDF 487KB)

    West Georgia Technical College (WGTC) articulation agreements outline how the credits from WGTC’s associate degree programs seamlessly transfer to UWG’s bachelor programs within the same subject areas. Specific Transfer Pathway programs offered: General Business, Criminal Justice, Psychology, Nursing, and General Studies. Below is a list of all the courses that have been approved through the articulation agreements for transfer credit:

    WGTC Articulation Agreement List of Courses (PDF 311KB)

    *Please note, courses that are not listed on TCSG and WGTC articulation agreements are not transferrable without prior departmental approval. Once admitted and your transfer evaluation has been completed, please review your transfer credits to see if you will need to fill out a Transfer Credit Re-Evaluation Form (see link above). To see if additional courses outside of the agreements have been approved by the department, please reference the Equivalency Tool (see link above).   

  • Video Tutorials

    View Your Transfer Evaluation







     Equivalency Tool











  • Test Requirements

    GA Regents Test:

    All students seeking a degree from a University System of Georgia institution must fulfill the Georgia Regents Reading and Writing Requirements. UWG is a Regents "Test" exempt institution, which means that students who complete Core Area A1 (ENGL 1101 & ENGL 1102) fulfill their Regents requirement of reading and writing competency without taking the exam. Therefore, if a student has passed ENGL 1101 and 1102 with a "C" or better at UWG (or has been granted transfer credit for those classes AFTER ENROLLING at UWG), then the student is exempt from Regents’ Test requirements.

    US/GA Constitution and History Requirements:

    The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia requires that all students must satisfactorily pass a course in US and GA History and a course in US and GA Constitution. If you took HIST 2111 or 2112 (US History I or II) at an institution outside the state of Georgia or POLS 1101 (American Government) at an institution outside the state of Georgia or at a Technical College System of Georgia institution (before Fall 2011), you have met the US requirement, but not the Georgia requirement. You will receive credit for the courses, but you still must meet the GA requirement by taking a departmental exam. PASSING THIS EXAM IS A REQUIREMENT FOR GRADUATION.

    If you took POLS 1101 at a Technical College System of Georgia institution Fall Semester 2011 or later, you have met both the US and Georgia constitution requirements.

    If you received credit for HIST 2111 or 2112 from an out-of-state institution, you will need to take the Georgia History exam. If you received credit for POLS 1101 from an out-of-state institution or a Technical College System of Georgia institution (before Fall 2011), you will need to take the Georgia Constitution exam. The exams are free for students and a study guide for the exams may be purchased at the campus bookstore. You need to register for each exam through Academic Testing Services at 678-839-6435. It is strongly suggested you take it as soon as possible.

  • Two Year College Graduates/Former Students

    For a one time option only, students who have been academically suspended or dismissed from the University of West Georgia may be readmitted as degree candidates after having completed a two-year degree from a regionally accredited college or university.

    Students wanting to enroll as a two-year graduate should submit a Two-Year College Graduate Application to the Enrollment Services Center. The application must then be approved by the Dean of the student’s major. To ensure the completed coursework will transfer to the University of West Georgia, it is highly recommended students complete their associate degree at a University System of Georgia College.

    All transfer credit requirements, as noted in the catalog, still apply. It is required students have an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science in an academic degree program. An Associate of Applied Science cannot be used for the Two-Year Graduate option.

    After a student has been approved for readmission, they must complete a minimum of 60 academic hours after the associate degree with at least a 2.0 grade point average to earn a bachelor’s degree. Questions about the Two-Year Graduate option can be directed to the Enrollment Services Center.

    For a comprehensive list of regionally accredited colleges in the University System of Georgia please visit http://www.usg.edu/institutions/.


Have a Transfer Question?


  • Inquires regarding awarded elective credit being awarded as an UWG equivalent or substitution.

  • Course Equivalency Authorization

    Please complete the Transfer Credit Re-Evaluation Form

  • Course Substitution Authorization

    Obtain a copy of the course description(s)

    Contact your advisor

Inquires regarding adjustment of courses applied to Core Areas A-E: Contact your Advisor

Please check the appropriate block as it pertains to you:

Please check the appropriate block as it pertains to you: