What is Group Counseling?
Group counseling involves a small group of people (usually 6-10) who meet together weekly, along with one or two trained members of the Counseling Center staff, to talk about their struggles and problems. These groups can take a variety of forms. Some focus on a specific topic or problem, while others address a number of different concerns.
What makes Group Counseling work?
When people come into a group and interact freely with other group members, they tend to recreate those difficulties that brought them to counseling in the first place. Under the skilled direction of the group facilitators, the group is able to give support, offer alternatives, or gently confront the an individual. In this way, the difficulty is resolved, alternative behaviors are learned, and the individual develops new social skills or ways of relating to people. Group counseling has been found to be a very effective means of treatment and, in some cases, the best form of treatment for a particular individual or a particular type of concern.
What are the benefits of Group Counseling?
In a group, you can learn more about how you are perceived by others and experience a sense of acceptance and belonging. Discover that you are not alone in the difficulties you are experiencing. Hear ideas from others, which enhance your ability to make decisions and solve problems. Benefit from the experience of being helpful to others. Learn to constructively express your feelings and ideas to others. Gain encouragement by observing the successes of others.
Group Counseling Offerings
- Life Skills - Mondays from 1:00 - 2:00 p.m. in the Counseling Center located in Row
- Struggle with basic life skills? This group will collaborate with a therapist to focus on either management of money, time, health, or self-advocacy.
- Goal Getters - Mondays from 3:15 - 4:15 p.m. in the Counseling Center located in Row
- Ready to make a change in your life but need support? This group will establish peer accountability, who can help you stay focused on your life goals in a safe, positive environment.
- Craving Change - Tuesdays from 2:00 - 3:00 p.m. in the Counseling Center located in
- Are you struggling with drugs and alcohol? This group will provide you the tools to reduce, possibly eliminate, the chaotic effects it has made on your life ina safe, positive environment.
- Being Human - Wednesdays from 3:15 - 4:15 p.m. in the Counseling Center located in
- This group will focus on cultivating a meaningful relationship with others and yourself as you share life experiences of struggle and growth.
- S.A.F.E. Group Counseling - Fridays from 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. in the Counseling Center
located in Row Hall
- This group offers a safe space for any student who would like to engage with other LGBTQIA+ students for support and awareness.