Are you looking for a student employee (a student who works for pay for your organization), a student volunteer (a student who gives time, effort, and talent to a need or a cause without profiting monetarily or receiving class credit), or a student who works for your organization in exchange for academic credit (either as an intern or as part of a class project)?

If you are looking for a student to do work that your organization would normally pay someone to do, then you are looking for a student employee.

Please visit the Career Services website and click on the "Career Services" Tab and then the “Employer” link for more information, or call (678) 839-6431.

Special Opportunity for Non-Profits:
If you are a non-profit organization, UWG also has a limited number of West Community Student Engagement Program positions, where eligible students can be paid by their Federal Work Study dollars. Visit the Federal Work Study website for more information.

The Center for Student Involvement will assist non-profit organizations in finding student volunteers for projects. You can find more information about this at their Community Partners website

From that site you can complete a form to be added to their Volunteer Agency Database, or you can complete a form to request student volunteers for an ongoing initiative, a multi-day event or a one-time event.

For more information, please contact the Coordinator for Student Volunteer Programs, at (678) 839-5372.

Connecting with Student Employees and Volunteers


Students who do Community Service in Exchange for Academic Credit

An internship is a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting. Internships give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields they are considering for career paths, and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent. Internships may be paid or unpaid.

The Career Services office has an excellent Internship Toolkit to help you create a successful internship experience – visit the Career Services website and click on the “Employers: Welcome Employers” links to see the publication.  You can post internships through Career Services or contact specific academic departments.

Your organization may be able to partner with a faculty member on a project where students receive academic credit as part of a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities.  Planning such a partnership will usually take several months.

Contact the Office of Public Service and Outreach, and we will share the idea with potential faculty partners and set a meeting with interested faculty and the Community Partner to discuss. If it seems feasible, faculty & Community Partner will move forward with establishing learning objectives, curriculum, expectations, etc.). You are also welcome to contact faculty directly to explore these opportunities.

We are occasionally approached by non-profits who wonder if faculty will give students “extra credit” for doing community service activities. If you e-mail a complete description of the opportunity to, we are happy to share it with faculty to see if there is interest. However, please remember that most faculty complete their syllabi several weeks before a semester begins, so will not be able to insert extra-credit opportunities on short notice.