International Tuition Waivers
- The information on this page is intended for international applicants only. Domestic students interested in out-of-state waivers should refer to the information at UWG Admissions.
Tuition at public colleges and universities in Georgia is highly subsidized through property taxes paid by residents of the state, and by other state revenues. Therefore, tuition for residents of Georgia ("in-state" tuition) is considerably less than tuition for those from other states and countries ("out-of-state" tuition).
Example full-time tuition for 1 semester / 12 credit hours:
- Georgia Residents: $2185
- Out-of-State & International Students: $7712
- Value of Out-of-State Tuition Waiver for 1 year / 2 semesters: $11,054
Undergraduate international students may apply for the "Out-of-State" tuition waiver so that in effect, they pay the same rate as "in-state" residents; the "out of state" tuition is waived. Graduate tuition waviers, are considered under a different process.
- All waivers are limited in supply and highly competitive.
- Requires separate application.
- Financial need is also a factor, but the most important element is academic merit.
- Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis, so apply early!
- Awarded on an annual basis but renewals require a new application each year.
- Priority renewal is for eligible students with a current waiver; secondary priority is for new students; third priority is for current international students who did not qualify for waivers initially but later qualify based on academic performance at UWG.
Selection for our tution waiver program is a privilege. Students are expected to maintain minimum GPA requirements, and proper immigration status. Awardees are also expected to fully contribute to student life and leadership opportunities at UWG. The review and allocation of waivers is administered by International Student Admissions and Programs (ISAP).
- Failure to maintain academic standards for a waiver will place the student on probation for 2 semesters.
- After 2 semesters, if academic standards are not achieved, the waiver will be removed until eligible again.
- The institutional GPA (not transfer GPA) is the basis for all waiver considerations.
Waiver Application Process
- Fill out the International Student Out of State Tuition Waiver Application.
- Attach a copy of your resume. Resumes should follow this form: RESUME
- Write an essay (no more than one page) describing why you should receive the waiver and how the waiver will benefit your studies at UWG.
Waiver Amounts and Criteria