All international students at UWG are automatically enrolled in the United Health Care (UHC) student insurance plan each Fall and Spring in order to comply with University System of Georgia and all Affordable Health Care Act (ACA) requirements. Summer coverage is included with Spring semester coverage. Plan details and costs are provided below.
Note: The PGH Global plan is no longer available to students at USG Comprehensive Regional Universities, including UWG.
- Fall: August 1 - December 31
- Spring: January 1 - May 31
- Summer: June 1 - July 31
Video: Overview of U.S. Health Care
- Compliant with the U.S. Affordable Care Act (ACA / Obamacare)
- Provide up to $250,000 coverage for accident and sickness coverage per year
- Cap of $500 deductible each year for accidents or illness.
- Provide up to $50,000 coverage for medical evacuation: returning a patient to their home country for long-term care requirements.
- Provide up to $25,000 coverage for medical repatriation: returning bodily remains home in the event of death
J1 Students & Scholars:
J1 visa holders must have the following minimum benefits:
- Medical Benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of Remains in the amount of $25,000
- Medical Evacuation coverage up to: $50,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
- A policy underwritten by an insurance carrier with:
an A.M. Best rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above;
a McGraw Hill Financial/Standard & Poor’s Claims paying Ability rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above;
a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of ‘‘B+’’ or above;
a Fitch Ratings, Inc. rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above;
a Moody’s Investor Services rating of ‘‘A3’’ or above;
Alternate Insurance Plans
F1 students may use a different plan than other tha UHC if it meets all the requirements above. To remove the UHC charge from your UWG account, submit an insurance waiver request at least 1 week before the fee payment deadline each term. The waiver request is not reviewed by UWG; rather it is done by UHC. If your waiver is rejected, you will need to select another altnernate plan or keep and pay for the United Health Care plan provided by the payment deadline.
Can ISAP Recommend Alternate Plans?
No. State employees cannot recommend external vendors or services. However, a number of other providers may be able to assist you. It's the student's responsibility to research and select a waiver eligible plan if they would like.
How are Waiver Requests Done?
If your alternate plan meets requirements after submitting plan details via the waiver portal below, you will be notified. It is important to pay your UWG bill including the insruance coverage until your waiver is approved. If alternate insurance is approved after you already paid for UHC insurance, a refund will be processed automatically. Otherwise, you may be dropped from enrollment for non-payment of fees.